Shareholder Q&A

For additional shareholders' FAQs, please refer to the Capita website at

How do I sell my shares?

Capita IRG Trustees offers a share dealing service which can be accessed online. For further information please visit or telephone 0871 664 0446 (calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras. Lines are open 8am - 4.30pm, Monday - Friday , excluding public holidays).

Alternatively, contact your bank or stock broker who will also be able to assist you in selling your shares.

Share dealings and Movements. How do I place/remove a STOP on my holding?

Please contact the Registrar as soon as possible to discuss your query.

Capita Registrars (IOM) Limited
3rd Floor Exchange House
54-62 Athol Street
Isle of Man

UK: 0871 664 0300 (calls cost 10p a minute plus network extras. Lines are open 8.30am-5.30pm Mon-Fri).
Overseas: +44 (0) 208 639 3399



How do I change my details?

Please click here to go to the Capita website where you can find out how you can change your details.

I have lost my share certificate, how can I get a replacement?

If you have lost your share certificate please get in touch by calling the shareholder helpline to tell us the certificate is missing. If your certificate has been stolen we will need a crime reference number issued by the police. We will then issue you with a letter of indemnity to replace the missing certificate.

Depending on the value of the shares there may be an administration charge and cover may be needed to support the indemnity. We can provide cover for ourselves in which case the total fee will increase based on the current share price. If you prefer you can make your own arrangements to have the indemnity form guaranteed by a suitably authorised bank, insurance company or guarantee society.

If you need to pay a fee you can pay over the telephone using your debit card. If you do not have a debit card you can send a cheque payable to 'Capita Registrars Limited'. Please note we cannot accept payment by cash, postal order or credit card.

Once you return the letter of indemnity to us, it will be processed and the replacement share certificate(s) will be sent to you within ten working days.

If you need the share certificate(s) more quickly, we offer an express service for an extra fee. The replacement share certificate(s) will then be sent to you within two working days. When calling us please ask our Information Consultant about this service.

When we receive the letter of indemnity, we may need to carry out satisfactory security and anti-fraud checks.


What is the Annual General Meeting?

An AGM consists of routine matters, such as the election of directors, approval of reports and accounts which are put to the vote of shareholders.

Company directors can take this opportunity to put forward other matters requiring the agreement of shareholders such as setting the limits on the number of shares that can be issued in the following year.

Company Meetings. Do I have to vote?

It is not compulsory to vote, although voting does provide you with a voice to support change as a stakeholder in the company.

Company Meetings. How can I vote if I am the executor of a deceased holder?

Unfortunately, a person becoming entitled (e.g. Executor, beneficiaries etc) to shares in consequence of the death or bankruptcy of a shareholder are not entitled to the right to vote until the shares have been transferred and the beneficiaries are registered shareholders.

How can I locate up to date information relating to a company event?

Please check our Financial Calendar for the most recent information.

How can I obtain current and historical share prices of Bahamas Petroleum Company plc?

How do I notify you of a deceased shareholder?

The Registrar will require sight of an original or official copy of the Death Certificate, or a sealed or certified Grant of Representation.

Please refer to the Capita website for further details.